The team at AgeWise Solutions, LLC possesses more than 75 years of combined experience working with older adults, persons with disabilities, and those who care for them. We are dedicated to helping clients achieve maximum independence in the setting that is best suited for them. We are knowledgeable and experienced on issues surrounding the aging process, physical disability, and mental health that can impact independence.
- Our Founder
- Our History
- What is an Aging Life Care™ Manager?
- How we are different
- Professional Memberships
AgeWise Solutions was founded in 2013 by Sharon Dickol. Sharon has more than 30 years of experience in aging services, program and policy development, and services administration at the local and state level. Sharon completed her undergraduate work at the College of New Jersey and earned her GCM certificate at the University of Florida in Gainesville. She is a graduate of the Partners in Policymaking advocacy training program (1995) and the National Association of Area Agencies on Aging Leadership Institute (2008). She has presented at local, state, and national conferences on topics related to aging and caregiver interventions since 2001.
Sharon is an Advanced Professional member of the Aging Life Care Association, an organization that is nationally recognized for professional standards and ethics in care management for older adults. Additionally, she is certified by the National Academy of Certified Care Managers (NACCM), the recognized credentialing organization which assures individual competence to perform the full range of care management tasks.Return to top
AgeWise Solutions was formed in order to meet the growing needs of older adults and persons with disabilities to live and age successfully at home and in the community. Often, individuals do not have the family support needed to maintain independence as they age or face the barriers that come with physical or cognitive limitations. Over the years, we observed the increasing numbers of elders struggling at home, making frequent trips to emergency rooms, and often falling through the cracks of a complex service delivery system. Recognizing that a more customized approach to care was needed, Sharon drew on her many years of experience to address this need and began AgeWise Solutions in 2013. Since then, our team has grown and now includes professionals in the fields of nursing, social work, geriatric care management, and government benefits & money management.Return to top
What is an Aging Life Care™ Manager?
An Aging Life Care Manager is dedicated to helping clients age well while also supporting quality of life for family members. This phase of a family’s journey together is often complicated. There is more to do than there is time. Relatives may live far away. Relations can become strained.
Our professional training and knowledge of best practices can ease the journey.
Every family is unique. As Aging Life Care Managers, we apply our insights and skills in 8 key areas to provide you with a positive care plan tailored to your family’s individual needs and strengths.
We offer expertise regarding:
- Health and disability: Through assessments and experience, we can help you understand what your loved one does well, and in what areas he or she could use additional help.
- Finances: A review of the current monetary situation will result in a plan to make resources stretch as efficiently as possibly while maintaining the desired level of comfort, dignity and safety.
- Housing: Based on the assessments, recommendations can be made for optimal living situations now, with a view to likely changes in the foreseeable future.
- Family: Sibling disagreements and old family history often make the aging journey difficult. Our training provides for skilled facilitation of family meetings and creation of a plan that takes everyone’s needs into account.
- Local Resources: There are programs available to help, but it’s difficult to know which one is the most appropriate for your situation. Save time and money by letting us objectively evaluate the situation and connect you to the resources best suited to your needs.
- Advocacy: Our comprehensive knowledge of the disjointed health care system allows us to monitor quality and lobby for the care and treatment your family wants.
- Legal: Let us help you identify issues and get key paperwork in order.
- Crisis Intervention: The unexpected is simply a fact of life in aging. We are experienced with elder emergencies and are ready to jump in at a moment’s notice.
AgeWise Solutions, LLC is in the business of helping aging adults and their families to live well throughout the aging process. Give us a call at 302-858-6449 to discuss the many ways we can help you.Return to top
How we are different
What makes an Aging Life Care Manager stand apart from the others is the commitment to stay focused on the needs of the client and family. Others may offer services for less, but what you receive cannot help but be influenced by the payment structure.
Hospital- or insurance-based case managers are employees of the health care system. They are good professionals. Their focus, however, is to address the issues of patients within the institution and to make efficient use of services for their organization.
We are based in the community and work with aging adults wherever they live. We provide continuity of care across all settings. We include the family and focus on improving quality of life for the older adult and their grown children.
Senior advisors are paid referral fees to suggest elder care facilities. As a general rule, they have a more limited sphere of knowledge and do not hold a professional degree needed to give them expertise in the 8 key areas of elder care. Only those facilities willing to pay a finder’s fee will be included in their list of suggestions. There may be a more appropriate option, but it will not be mentioned if the facility does not pay for referrals.
Because we are paid directly by you, we are independent and objective. Our focus is 100% on the needs of your family and your aging loved ones. We apply our considerable skill and years of training to your unique situation.
When the issue is safety and quality of life, you deserve the best!Return to top
We pride ourselves in our commitment to stay abreast of the ever-changing landscape of senior services and aging research. To this end, our staff are members of the following professional organizations:
- Academy of Certified Social Workers
- The Aging Life Care™ Association
- American Society on Aging
- Delaware Senior Resource Network
- National Academy of Certified Care Managers
- National Association of Social Workers